Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Words do hurt

We all grew up with:
Sticks and stones may break my bones, 
but words will never hurt me.

However, these days, words are getting more intense, BULLYING is reaching new heights with irreversible consequences.  Before they even learn to speak, it's important to start teaching them the importance of using those words in a nice way...and it all starts with US, the role models. It's hard to remember that there is a little sponge absorbing EVERYTHING they hear and see, but we must. It breaks my heart to even think that MY SON's words might cause another child this much hurt and it hurts me even more to think that my baby head might shed tears like this child due to another child's words. 
My son isn't even 2 and hopefully years from when we'll have to discuss bullying, but I guess it's my momma sense that is already thinking ahead...AND WORRYING...
Photo from Ellen McKim Sattler's FB page
I like a song I heard once...
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words and unkind laughter are very real and we can feel them hurt  a long time after. So lets be careful with what we do and say, so that we don't hurt someone!"
Don't ask me where I heard it, cause I can't put a finger on it...but I do remember it was on a CASSETTE PLAYER (wow...old).

--------------
After i posted this, I checked my email and had a email from Parents.com with

Teach Your Kid How to Handle Bullies, in the subject line.... coincidence huh. 

Check out these 3 articles they posted:
Cyberbullying: What Is It?
Teach Your Child to Respect Others
18 Tips to Stop Cyberbulling

No comments:

Post a Comment