Friday, October 7, 2011

We can't all have perfect families

I love my sister. She is getting her Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy at NOVA and I know she is going to be a great therapist. I turn to her when I have fights with my husband or questions about marriage. She hardly ever just takes my side, which makes me mad at first, but then I understand that she is training to do just that....be objective and neutral. She sent me a quote that she read this morning that I thought I would share....
"Its something about risking imperfection to keep growing..we can't all have perfect families and its being ok that maybe life is not perfect...no super mom or dad...no super child...we live in a society that preches perfection yet what we need to do more is take risks and knowing you it might not turn out perfect! Love your child, love your parents, and partner for who they are...find the meaning of who your family was, is, and wants to be in the future...Therapy is not to point out what is it that your doing bad but showing you that what you have done is what you have considered "right" for youself and your family....."


Sometimes, I do let life's imperfections get to me...and they affect life in the family nucleus. I confess that I have given in to the philosophy that couples that go to counseling are "in trouble" or in too bad a shape to solve their own problems. No one even talks about counseling openly because it's almost TABOO...but the truth is, sometimes you do need a neutral 3rd party to help out. As I learn more about their role and the help they can provide, I see that Marriage Counselors are like Nutritionists. You can go to them when your doctor says EITHER YOU CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS OR YOU'LL DIE, or you can go as you notice that you need to get a better nutrition program into your daily routine to be able to enjoy a BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE. Nutritionists can fine tune your diet....and in combo with a good exercise plan, you are on your way to a HAPPY and HEALTHY way of life>>Isn't that what we all want from our marriages?


I don't have a perfect family...But I love my family with ALL MY HEART. Thanks Manuela for sharing this quote with me today and for wanting to go into a profession where you will be CHANGING the lives of so many Families! Your patients will be LUCKY to have you!

Happy Friday!!!

1 comment: