Thursday, October 6, 2011

Spicy Black Bean Dip

One of the great things about the Bootcamp4Moms that I coach is that even thought the classes are localized and rather "private--meaning a few moms", you are actually part of a VERY LARGE TYSON METHOD COMMUNITY. When you sign up for a program, you gain access to a great on-line community where there are a whole bunch of different moms posting things on blogs and forums about  how they are managing to mix workouts with mommy life..... plus you get quick ideas for recipes that might be a slightly healthier version of something you already make.... and little you can see little tips here and there that about random topics that can make that "Get back in shape Journey" a little smoother...IT TAKES A VILLAGE for everything these days.

But anyway...to my post point, I got this dip recipe from the Tyson Method Social Website. And I just wanted to share it with you, cause I love dips.  They are quick to make and when they are in the fridge I tend to OPT for the dip as opposed to...say.... the rest the the pantry and refrigerator! My only caution with DIPS is  that once I DIP, I can't stop! So I have to watch how much I scoop out or even make (to be honest)....cause I can easily devour it all in one sitting. At least with this one I won't feel so bad about it since it's only a 104 calorie ''snack'' if I can contain myself and eat only 2 portions...lol.
Spicy Black Bean Dip
Practically fat-free and an excellent source of fibre. The dip can also be spooned onto plates and served as a light lunch, accompanied by warm whole-wheat pita bread.
5 garlic cloves, peeled
1 can (540 ml) black beans, rinsed and drained (see the variation if using dried beans)
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2⁄3 cup chopped fresh coriander
4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 pickled jalapeño chili peppers, finely chopped
 DIRECTIONS:
1.In a small saucepan of boiling water, cook the garlic for 2 minutes to blanch. Drain and transfer the garlic to a large bowl. Add the beans and mash with a potato masher.
2.Stir in the vinegar, lemon juice and cumin until the ingredients are well combined.
3.Fold in the coriander, green onions and jalapeño chili peppers and serve. (This recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated. Bring the dip to room temperature before serving.) 
PER SERVING: Serves 8: 52 calories, 3g protein, 0.4 g fat, 1g sugar, 3g fibre, 23mg sodium
No oil, no sour cream, no cream cheese—there’s simply no added fat in this black bean dip, and the powerful seasonings mean that you’ll never miss it. Canned beans are a handy pantry staple. They are an excellent and inexpensive source of protein and fibre, and contain little fat.
Let me know what you think.....
Happy Dipping!!

No comments:

Post a Comment